- To follow the brief story of Moab as given in the introduction look up the following:
a. Genesis 19:36-37
b. Deuteronomy 2:9, 28-29
c. Judges 3:12-30; 11:17, 25-26
d. 2 Kings 3:4-5
e. Isaiah 15-16
f. Jeremiah 40:11-12
- What do we learn about Moab in Isaiah 15-16 and Jeremiah 48:46-47?
- Why do Naomi and Elimelech go to Moab?
- How was Naomi afflicted?
- Was it right for Naomi to say “the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me” (Ruth 1:20)?
- Widows often say they feel like a “fifth wheel” in mixed company. Would it be best for them to fellowship mainly with other women who understand them and their problems? Discuss the problem. It may be helpful to some in your group.
- Read James 1:27. What does this verse mean?
- What should a widow’s attitude be towards receiving help from the church?
- How does self-pity usually affect a person?
- What makes Naomi and example in times of trouble?
- Why is Naomi and exemplary mother-in-law?